Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Some Observations About a Hypocritical Society

I drive a car. I've been through the drive-thru at Tim Horton's (Dunkin' Donuts if you're American) on several occasions. I pay for the plastic bags at the grocery store despite owning several reusable shopping bags. I don't smoke pot but do drink alcohol and can't understand why one is socially acceptable and the other is not. I think wind turbines are cool.

The following are just some observations on our world that are often spinning around in my little brain. They are somewhat specific to Canada but I'm sure they're fairly universal. It's not that I've lost faith in the human race, I just think we're doomed*!

A government that fights the use of alcohol and tobacco by taxing the hell out of those products and reaping amazing revenue.


A society that says that drinking alcohol is not only acceptable, it is expected yet smoking the dried leaves of a naturally grown plant is a heinous crime.

The vehicle with the bumper sticker that says “Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign” parked in front of Wal-Mart.

An overwhelming portion of the population is concerned about the rainforest. McDonalds and other fast food restaurants continue to be cash cows.

We want to cut out ‘drive-thrus’ yet the guy sitting in his car, polluting the air and getting fat has priority over the walk-in customer.

A hybrid Escalade is still a gas-guzzler.

Your reusable shopping bags are cool. Why did you drive your car two blocks to get to the grocery store?

You charge me $.05 for my plastic shopping bag in the name of being environmentally friendly, yet you stuff my mailbox with a small tree’s worth of paper advertising.

Wind turbines look ugly, make noise and cause imaginary illnesses. Can we drop a coal power plant in your neighbourhood instead?

Remember - you have freedom of speech and rights as a human - as long as you say and do what they tell you! Have a nice day!

* I don't really think we're doomed.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your post because it is very interesting and thought-provoking to learn this information. I am glad I came to know this fact. Thanks for sharing and keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete