Saturday, June 27, 2009

9 Benefits of Green Tea

My love of Green Tea came shortly after becoming vegan but not because of it. I've always had issues with caffeine to the point of having palpitations and panic attacks but, I also love the wakening jolt that caffeine gives.
It's been several years since I've had any soft drinks containing caffeine and a few years since my coffee addiction ended. I was having a meal at what is now my favourite Thai restaurant, 7 Stars in Orangeville, and with each meal comes a pot of green tea. When told that it contained much less caffeine than coffee, half as much actually, and that it was good for you in many ways, I decided to give it a try. From that point forward, I haven't been able to put it down.
Here's a list of 9 reasons why drinking green tea is awesome for you:
  1. It lowers cholesterol levels.
  2. It improves HDL to LDL cholesterol ratio (this is good!).
  3. Inhibits growth of cancer cells.
  4. Is rich in polyphenols, specifically epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which are powerful anti-oxidants.
  5. Prevents tooth decay by killing bacteria (same principle prevents food poisoning by killing bacteria in the stomach).
  6. Helps burn calories.
  7. Just enough caffeine for the caffeine-intolerant (like me) to get 'high'! (40mg in a cup of GT compared to 85mg in a cup of coffee)
  8. Excess is good! This is not something that should be consumed in moderation. The more you drink, the more you benefit.
  9. Helps in balancing blood sugar levels.

If you haven't tried the stuff, pour yourself a mug today. You'll soon get past the bitterish taste and fall in love with this magic potion. Afterall, the stuff's been used for 4000 years in China and they are still the most populous people on the face of the earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment